Mar 15, 2010

Colorado Experiment Workout

From http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2007/04/29/from-geek-to-freak-how-i-gained-34-lbs-of-muscle-in-4-weeks/

More at http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/timothyf.htm

  • For each set, I target to reach failure after 80-120 seconds, thus 8-12 repetitions at 5/5 cadence. This is sometimes referred to as "time under tension" (TUT). I will usually do one marathon workout of 2-3 hours before beginning the program to determine an appropriate starting weight for each exercise.

  • Doing bicep curls WILL cause your skin to darken and your body hair to fall out.

  • I consumed at least 5,000 calories per day, but before you use a closed-system thermodynamic calories-in/calories-out model to call me a liar again, please read Dr. Michael Eades' posts on calorie counting. Google him and you'll find a few good articles.

  • I generally spend about 2 hours with a trainee before any real workouts and have them do 10-rep sets of increasing weight with a 2-sec up and 2-sec down speed for each exercise. Complete one exercise at a time. Take 2 min between sets and exercises. Once the trainee completes a set that would have failed in 2 reps or so, cut 25% off that weight and use it for your next workout at the 5/5 to failure. From there, adjust as needed.

  • When you lift a wheight, that's the positive movement, when you lower it, it's negative movement right there.

  • The eating is absolutely a bitch, to use a scientific term. The workouts are nothing compared to the food consumption.

  • Here's a good meal for gaining: durum wheat macaroni (toss the magic orange powder and use skim milk to make) + a can of tuna + low-fat turkey chili. Mix it all up and season. Fast and dense. Feel free to substitute quinoa for macaroni for variety.

  • To the best of my recollection, I did not do any aerobic exercises, with the exception of a daily 30-minute walk in the morning for sun exposure and general well-being.

  • I use casein both post-workout and pre-bed if I'm on a gaining program. Whey can be useful in combination, but it often results in a negative nitrogen balance shortly after ingestion due to it's rapid gastric emptying and AA absorption. It is possible to do just fine with whole foods or just casein. I would not use whey in isolation unless you are eating something to slow its absorption. I know this contradicts many recommendations out there — just my experience.

  • Just one set, one weight. No drop sets required. I will generally only swap main exercises when progress begins to slow substantially, less than 5-10% weight added per workout, depending on exercise and caloric intake.

  • Comment by Matt September 4th, 2009 9:53 am: In order to increase caloric intake the ONLY THING I CHANGED was to drink one gallon of whole milk a day. Called G.O.M.A.D. I make my own protein bars (steel cut oats, whey protein, crushed smart start, chocolate chips, natural peanut butter, and whole milk. Mix and place in fridge. Google this recipe. Taste better than anything I have bought.

  • I no longer consume casein isolate. I believe that most proteins are best consumed from whole food sources. There are just too many things we have yet to identify that work in conjunction with the protein we're so eager to hack out and make taste like chocolate :)

No comments:

Post a Comment